Baked Double-Yolk Lotus Mooncakes
8 salted egg yolks
40g hazelnuts or melon seeds (finely chopped)
560g lotus paste
3 slices of lemon
40g plain flour
pinch of dried yeast
30ml golden mooncake syrup
8ml peanut oil
- Starting with the mooncake syrup, put sugar, water and lemon slices (cut cross-wise) into a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes till golden brown. Discard the lemon slices and set aside to cool.
- Separate yolks from whites, then steam yolks for 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Leave them to cool
- Add the chopped hazelnuts/melon seeds to the lotus paste and mix until even.
- Shape the yolks into balls. Divide the paste into 4 portions and place 2 salted yolks into each portion of lotus paste.
- Sift the flour and dried yeast into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Mix the cooled mooncake syrup and peanut oil together.
- Pour this into the well and knead the dough until it becomes elastic and is no longer sticky.
- Chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220 deg C.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions.
- Gently sprinkle flour on your work surface. Taking one portion at a time, roll it out into a thin circular piece, about 7.5cm in diameter. (If you do not have a rolling pin, just press on dough with palm)
- Pick up the dough and place it in the palm of your hand. Place one lotus paste ball onto the flattened skin. Work on gently pressing the filling into the dough until the edges almost touch. The lotus paste should be almost fully enclosed. Then pinch together to seal it.
- Sprinkle a little flour on the surface of the mooncakes, and press the ball into mould. Tap the mould lightly to dislodge the mooncake, and repeat for the other 3 mooncakes.
- Place the mooncakes on a well-grerased baking tray and bake in a 220 deg C oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
*For a glossy finish, bake the mooncakes for 10 minutes then brush them with an egg wash. Place the mooncakes back in the oven and continue to bake until golden brown.
<<Back to Cake