This is one of the more unique strudel as it uses cream
cheese rather than the normal fruits. It is also rather popular
with the masses and is a strudel not to be missed.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Serving: 6 person
- 2 apples, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet
- 1/4 cup brown suga
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 4 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 4 oz. creamy cottage cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oz. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting top of strudel
- Combine the apple slices, brown
sugar, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar and cinnamon in to a
large mixing bowl. Let this mixture rest for 30 minutes and
then drain with a colander.
- Transfer the apples back to a
bowl. Add the flour to the apple mixture and gently mix.
The apple mixture should still have some juice but only a
small amount. Stir in raisins at this point (if using). Set
- Now in a separate bowl prepare
the cheese filling mixture. Combine the whipped cream
cheese, cottage cheese, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the sugar.
Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
Dust a large cutting board with
some sugar and roll out the puff pastry. Roll until you
have doubled the size keeping the shape rectangular.
Brush the dough with some melted butter. Then smear the cheese filling
over the puff pastry leaving a 1/2 inch boarder around
all the edges. Sprinkle about 1/8 cup sugar over the
cheese filling. Now evenly distribute the apple slices
over the cheese filling. Drizzle a little butter over
- Start rolling the puff pastry
away from you. Do not tear or crack the dough.
Intermittently tuck in the edges of the dough and then
continue rolling until 2 inches from the end. Brush some egg white on the top
of the roll with some butter and then gently bring the last
2-inch flap of puff pastry over the roll. Pinch slightly to
seal the edge. Carefully place the rolled dough into a
buttered aluminum baking pan and shape into a large
crescent. Brush some egg white on the top and sprinkle with
a little sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 50 minutes.
<<Back to Strudel